07 December 2008

Another KO for Lopez in the first round...

By ESPN

LAS VEGAS -- Juan Manuel Lopez does not like to waste time.


For the third consecutive fight, the junior featherweight titleholder from Puerto Rico scored a first-round knockout, this time blowing away Argentina's Sergio Medina in 1 minute, 14 seconds on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on the undercard of the Oscar De La Hoya-Manny Pacquiao welterweight showdown.

[+] EnlargeChris Farina/Top Rank

Juan Manuel Lopez wasted little time blasting out Sergio Medina in under a round on Saturday.
"This is a big stage and it's a bit of [a] letdown that I could not give the fans an even better fight," Lopez said.

Lopez (24-0, 22 KOs), 25, retained his title for the second time as he pounded Medina with ease, dropping him three times before referee Joe Cortez called it off without a count following the third knockdown.

Lopez went at Medina (33-2, 18 KOs), 26, with right hooks, using that powerful weapon to help him score all three knockdowns.

"He looked a little scared to me," Lopez said. "I didn't think I hit him that hard, but he kept going down."

Lopez crushed Daniel Ponce Lopez in the first round to win the title in June and then blew out Cesar Figueroa for another first-round knockout in his initial defense in October.

Top Rank might bring Lopez back for his next defense on Feb. 21, on the undercard of welterweight Miguel Cotto's comeback fight against Michael Jennings.

Lopez would like to fight recognized division champion Israel Vazquez, who was in attendance at the fight.

"Obviously, I would like to fight Israel Vazquez," Lopez said. "He is best in the division and until I beat him I do not think I am best at 122. I know there are other champions at 122, but I feel Vazquez would be best for me."

to read complete article

No comments:

Post a Comment